Home ... Documentation
Want new version notification? Sign up for the sp_whoisactive email list.
Version 11.30 - December 10, 2017 (ALL versions 2005-2017 -- INCLUDING Azure PAAS.)
Version 11.20 - December 4, 2017 (Box versions 2005-2017 only. NOT for Azure PAAS.)
- I finally decided enough is enough. Azure SQL DB support simply can't wait, and I don't want to create a fork of sp_whoisactive. So I went through the proc, applied a little CASE expression magic, and here we are. FULL AZURE SUPPORT. FULL BOX SUPPORT. END OF STORY.
- Removed "USE master" at the top. It's the one thing I couldn't figure out how to leave in and still make the thing work on Azure. That's probably a breaking change for you if you're auto-deploying the proc, so watch out.
- Added some environment settings at the top that should have been there anyway. I get occasional emails asking why the proc is erroring out and I hope these will keep those emails at bay going forward.
- Fixed a bug in 11.20 where the dm_exec_query_statistics_xml DMV was occasionally throwing a lock timeout exception. Thank you Steven Hibble for the bug report!
- Please consider this version to be a very solid beta. I had to make a lot of changes to make everything work in Azure. Kindly test and let me know if you see any issues. Even let me know if you don't see any issues! Please be sure to tell me what version(s) you're using.
Version 11.17 - October 18, 2016 (Box versions 2005-2017 only. NOT for Azure PAAS.)
- LIVE QUERY PLANS ARE IN THE BUILDING ... or at least the software. This is the most-requested sp_whoisactive feature of late and I'm happy to have figured out a reasonable way to expose it. If they're available, they'll automatically show up in the query_plan column. If they're not available, they won't. I believe the way I implemented things won't break legacy support for pre-2016 builds; please let me know if you see issues. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED: Enable TF 7412 to enable lightweight collection of live query stats. This will light up the feature and start delivering the goods.
- Resource Governor workload group ID added to the additional_info collection. You'll have to enable @get_additional_info = 1 to see it. I'm considering resolving these to their full pool/group name format. And I'm considering adding it as an additional first-class output column. And maybe even making it filterable. What do you need here? Email and let me know please.
- Minor fix: The output wasn't sortable by program_name. Now it is.
Version 11.16 - October 18, 2016 (Box versions 2005-2017 only. NOT for Azure PAAS.)
- Removed use of CONCAT function in v11.16, to restore older SQL Server version compatibility
- Fixed algorithm for identifying "special" database pages (e.g. GAM, SGAM). Thanks, Robert Davis!
- Fixed @blockers duplicate key bug
- Fixed Find Block Leaders infinite recursion bug
- Improved handling of cases where the time stamps on the requests and sessions DMVs are very slightly different. Thanks, Henrik Poulsen!
- Fixed DATEDIFF overflow bug
- Added sql_handle and plan_handle to the additional_info node (use @get_additional_info to retrieve them)
(C) 2017 Adam Machanic